A few weeks ago, we asked for your best ideas to stay healthy while you work, and you guys did not disappoint. Today, we’re bringing you seven of our favorite tips, all sent in by our readers. Thanks to everyone who submitted, and a special thanks to Kunya Rowley, Rachel Streitfeld, Rusty Butler, Sidonia Rose Swarm, Jennifer Kaminski and Jessica Shraybman for these genius tips:
- Start with an easy one — make the healthier menu choice. If you’re at a lunch meeting, order a salad. Out for coffee? Opt for a herbal tea. Yes, it’s tempting to go big if someone else is footing the bill, but it can be hard on your health.
- Schedule a “walk and talk” instead of coffees or beers. Brainstorm with colleagues while you’re getting fresh air, walking through historic districts, along the Baywalk, in Museum Park, or any of Miami’s many pedestrian paths. Feeling even more adventurous? Take your meetings on a paddleboard!
- Stop staring at that spot on the wall during your conference calls, and take that call on the go instead. Go for a walk outside while you’re listening in, and get closer to your daily steps goal in the meantime.
- Invite your colleagues to a workout class and schedule a chat afterwards. You might be sweaty, but those endorphins will make your “meeting” a lot more enjoyable.
- Don’t show up to a networking event hungry. Eat a small, healthy meal beforehand, so if there’s nothing of sustenance at the event, you won’t feel compelled to hit the drive-thru on your way home.
- Take 15 minutes and meal prep at home to avoid those sweet and salty snacks calling your name in the co-working kitchen. You can also keep healthy snacks like walnuts or raisins in your car for days when you’re on the go.
- Hit the office happy hour without drinking. You can order a sparkling water with lime at the bar, or just tell people you’re driving.
- Michael’s Genuine makes their own house-made soda. No high-fructose corn syrup here! Plus fun flavors that rotate on a seasonal basis.
This post has been updated.
Produced by The New Tropic Creative Studio with Baptist Health South Florida