community

Meet Chef Brad Kilgore

📸 Photo courtesy of MaryGold’s by Brad Kilgore Who are you? What do you do? (Work, volunteer, etc.) I’m Brad Kilgore, and I’m a husband, father, and chef – currently serving as the culinary director MaryGold’s by Brad Kilgore at the Arlo Wynwood and The Concours Club. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? Wynwood, of course! What brings you most […]

/ January 8, 2024

Meet Mark Kraus, volunteer ecology researcher

📸 Photography by Doris Kraus Hi there, Mark! Who are you and what do you do? I am a Ph.D. scientist who came to South Florida in 1997 to work on Everglades restoration. In this capacity, I worked for both Audubon of Florida and the Everglades Foundation. The last almost-decade of my career I was a department […]

/ December 18, 2023

Meet Sharon Kendrick-Johnson, Miami-Dade County Commission for Women Board Member

📷 Photo courtesy of Sharon Kendrick-Johnson Greetings, Sharon! Who are you and what do you do? I’m Sharon Kendrick-Johnson, a transplant from Ocala. Miami is my home now and I love this gigantic city. Over the years, I have become invested in learning about the makings of this great metropolis through politics, charities, education, advocacy, […]

/ December 11, 2023

Meet YoungArts’ Luisa Múnera

📸 Photo provided by Luisa Múnera Hi Luisa! Who are you? What do you do? For the past nine years, I have been working at YoungArts. I am currently the Senior Manager, Artistic Programs & Curator. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? I have lived in a couple of Miami neighborhoods. I love each for different […]

/ December 4, 2023

Meet City Theatre’s Gladys Ramírez

📸 Photo courtesy of Gladys Ramírez Hi Gladys! Who are you and what do you do? I am a first-generation American born to parents from Peru. My greatest passion in life has always been theatre. I started at the age of 10 playing Miss Hannigan in “Annie,” and I’ve been at it ever since. I’ve gone […]

/ November 27, 2023

Meet Art Friedrich, founder of the Urban Oasis Project

📸 Photo by Jose Diaz Howdy, Art! Who are you? What do you do? I’m the co-founder and Executive Director of the non-profit Urban Oasis Project since 2009, building a local food movement for all here in Miami-Dade County. I also run Greenthumb Popcorn, which is a healthy popcorn snack brand, although since Whole Foods […]

/ November 20, 2023

Meet Kenisha Anthony, author and advocate

📸 Photography by Passion Ward Hey Kenisha! Who are you? What do you do? I am just an around the way Black girl from Liberty City turning my dreams into reality and utilizing my talents to contribute to the betterment of my community. I am a writer, advocate, and philanthropist. I am a Success Coach […]

/ November 13, 2023

Meet Whet Travel’s Jason Beukema

📷 Photo courtesy of Jason Beukema Hi Jason! Who are you and what do you do? I own a couple of travel companies focused on creating unforgettable experiences that connect communities to their passions in unique and exciting ways. Under the Whet Travel umbrella, we specialize in chartering cruise ships for large-scale music and themed […]

/ November 6, 2023

Meet Loud And Live’s Nelson Albareda

📷 Photo courtesy of Janice Greenspan Hi Nelson! Who are you? What do you do? I’m the CEO of Loud And Live, an entrepreneur at heart, a family man, and an avid boater. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? Coral Gables now, Miami Beach back then, and always Latino neighborhoods. What brings you most alive about […]

/ October 30, 2023

Meet Kirsten Hines, Florida wildlife chronicler

📸 Photo by James A. Kushlan Hiya Kristen! Who are you? What do you do? I’m a writer, wildlife photographer, and conservationist with a master’s degree in biology and a background as an environmental educator. I’m super passionate about the environment and aim to inspire others toward a little more greenness in everything I do, […]

/ October 23, 2023