Art Films: My Art
Join us for Art Films, a movie series by and about artists over brunch and bottomless mimosas. This edition will feature the screening of My Art followed by a Q&A with Director Laurie Simmons.
- Brewed French Roast Coffee, Decaf, Assorted Teas and Infusions
- Mimosa’s, Fresh Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice, Filtered Water
- Fruit + Yogurt
- Morning Pastries + Breads – Muffins, Scones, Zak’s Sourdough Rye, Cultured Butter, Fruit Preserves
- Scrambled Farm Eggs
- Herb-olive Roasted Potatoes
- Traditional American Breakfast Sausage
When Ellie Shine, a single artist living in New York City, is offered the summer home of a famous friend, she begins an odd and unexpected journey towards reinventing herself and fulfilling her decades-old dream of recognition in the art world.
Ellie Shine (Laurie Simmons) is a single artist living in New York City. Ellie has a good life: a stable teaching job, successful friends, and a loyal, aging dog named Bing. As her decades-old dream of a respectable place in the art world becomes more elusive, her frustration with her lack of recognition feels alarmingly urgent. When she is offered the summer house and studio of a famous friend in Upstate New York she seizes the opportunity to hit the reset button on her life and work. She unwittingly finds inspiration in two out-of-work actors who maintain the gardens at her summer retreat: Frank (Robert Clohessy), a recent widower trying to reassemble his life by turning his back on a mediocre acting career, and Tom (Josh Safdie), a young, hungry actor whose wife (Parker Posey) has a less ambitious vision for their idyllic country life. Joining them is John (John Rothman), a thrice-divorced, disillusioned lawyer looking for a summer distraction. This unlikely trio helps Ellie reinvent her artistic identity by participating in her DIY art videos— improbable recreations of old Hollywood films. They accompany Ellie on an odd and unexpected journey toward finding her late-blooming artistic momentum.
- BRUNCH: 11:30 am (Brunch will be served next-door at Charcoal)
- FILM: 12:30 pm
- Filmmaker Laurie Simmons will attend and participate in a post-film Q&A!