- This event has passed.
Celebrate over 100 years of the technology at the core of communication and connection in the modern world! The Wolfsonian partners with WLRN Public Media and The New Tropic to bring you a full day of radio-inspired fun and learning including live talks, workshops, performances, and interactives.
Museum admission is free for the day; tickets for the radio plays can be purchased here ($10 for nonmembers, $5 for Wolfsonian members; one ticket buys entry to all 4 performances).
VoxPop Live-Recording Booth
Inspired by the broadcasting term vox populi (“voice of the people”), WLRN is taking over the museum’s Bridge Tender House to make a pop-up live-recording booth and record stories straight from the streets of Miami Beach.
- 10–11am | Cafecito and Conversation
Chat with WLRN’s Wilson Sayre and other passersby about your favorite and least favorite things about Miami—all over the deliciousness of espresso.
- 11am–2pm | 1-on-1 Interviews
Sign up for a private, 15-minute recorded interview with Wilson and tell her about a sound or noise that has impacted your life.
- 2–5pm | Live Editing
Watch and listen from outside the Bridge Tender House as Wilson cuts, splices, and makes radio magic in a live-editing session that will shape storytelling right before your eyes.
Retro Radio Display, Talks + Tours
View selections of beautiful vintage radios from the private collection of Harvey Mattel, installed throughout The Wolf’s first floor.
- 1pm | Internet Radio Panel Discussion
Speakers from Jolt, Klangbox, and Wynwood Radio will discuss the future of radio in a panel talk moderated by Bruce Pinchbeck of The New Tropic.
- 3pm | Harvey Explains It All
Join Harvey—major radio collector, enthusiast, and expert—to learn about the history of radio through a selection of gems from his personal collection.
Mini-Speaker Workshop with Moonlighter Makerspace
Craft a radio-shaped analog amplifier for your smartphone while you learn a little something about sound waves from the Moonlighter team.
Get acquainted with the long tradition of the radio play, in which acoustics are key and dialogue rules the drama. Before the show, experiment and explore with objects used to make sound effects in real radio plays!
7–8:30pm | Radio Plays
Join us for the world premiere of four original radio plays based on South Florida news stories and directed by Daniel Eilola. Each 15-minute play will be followed by a short Q&A session.
- How to Talk to Your Kids About… play by Stephanie Ansin, original news story by Rowan Moore Gerety – One family’s story about tackling the tough new “birds and the bees” conversation: climate change and rising seas
- No Title play by Hannah Benitez, original news story by Kate Stein – A tale of two unlikely strangers venturing deep into the Everglades in search of a rogue predator
- Cursive play by William Hector, original news story by Julia Duba – Two notorious graffiti vandals on trial for their crimes
- The Space Between Us play by Vanessa Garcia, original news story by Christine DiMattei – A kitchen conversation between two sisters on opposite sides of the Cuban Diaspora