Note: Applications are now closed for this position. The last day too apply was November 10, 2017.
WhereBy.Us is a media and technology company that helps the world’s curious locals understand, explore, enjoy and build/invest in/create their cities. Our purpose is to help people live like they live here — and develop the platform and tools for doing so that can serve Miami and growing cities like it around the world. We’re a company centered on cultural values of curiosity and inclusivity since we care about the future of cities and the people who live in them. We’re a tech team, sure, but we’re human-centered because we want our communities to be stronger, better connected, and more awesome.
No matter if you will focus on using Ruby on Rails to enhance our Promotions App or taking best practices to supercharge WordPress development, you’ll be writing code that runs on our servers, develop new user-facing features, and refactor existing built code to for greater optimization and usability. We’re looking for a more experienced developer who can execute against high-level input about goals and strategy, asking the right questions and building the right solutions. You’ll also be collaborating with other team members and stakeholders to help solve problems. You’ll play an important leadership and mentoring role in defining and shaping all the technology we make.
The bulk of the tech team work is based in Miami — our first office had an inspirational photo of the rapper Pitbull in our bathroom. But while we support remote employees and welcome interest from any US resident, we will try as hard as we can to make the tech team a reflection of the communities we serve.
Skills and Qualifications
- Three or more years experience building and shipping production web systems
- Enjoy mentoring colleagues
- Self-driven & motivated problem solver
- Love making things that serve users
- Write clear, well-tested code
- TDD experience
- Favor collaboration over isolation
- Believe in shipping early and often
- Find joy in your work
- Excited to be responsible for production systems
Nice to Haves
Our requirements are above, but here are some other things that we’d also be glad to see:
- Solid understanding of Git (or similar version control software)
- Thoughtful opinions on CMSes and publishing
- Usage of modern development workflows such as developing locally, and using tools like Grunt, Gulp, Git, Sass, WP-CLI, etc to push code to staging and production websites
- Ruby MVC Development, and best practices on how to produce effective and efficient code
- Experience in WordPress and the LAMP stack, especially building and maintaining WordPress themes and plugins
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Bonus points if when using WordPress, you structure plugins and themes in an elegant and intuitive way – rather than throwing all the code into functions.php. Double bonus points if you’re familiar with the following WordPress technologies: extending WooCommerce plug-ins, ACF, WP Engine
- Fluency in Acceptance and Unit Testing: knowing which type of testing is appropriate when (RSpec, PHPUnit, Codeception)
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) knowledge (CodeShip, travis-ci)
- Experience in Pair Programming
- A love of — or at least total interest in — data, analytics and modeling
Here’s the thing: We’re most interested in working with driven, smart, collaborative people who share our mission. If you don’t have all the qualifications on this list, please apply anyway. We’d like to meet you.