Voter guide: November 2018 Midterm Elections
- We're publishing new sections of our November 2018 Midterm Election Guide each day through October 24 to get you ready to cast your ballot. Here's what we've published so far:
- U.S. Congress: Senate, House District 25, House District 26, House District 27
- Florida: State amendments, Governor, Attorney General, Commissioner of Agriculture, Chief Financial Officer, Justices and Judges
- Local referenda: Miami-Dade County, City of Miami, City of Miami Beach
- Plus, if you’ve got questions on HOW to vote, check out our Q&A here.
Mayra Joli is an immigration attorney running as an Independent against Democrat Donna Shalala and Republican Maria Elvira Salazar. She’s been described as a “master of selfies” and has made a name for herself in Miami’s social circles and through her Fashion Night on Brickell fundraiser event.
Politically she’s been vocal about her support of President Donald Trump but she also supports a more, organized inclusive approach to immigration reform than more conservative members of the Republican party.
Based on the questions you had for the candidates, and factoring in some relevant topics, we sent questionnaires to the candidates and asked them questions about the following issues: the environment, criminal justice reform, gun control, the economy, healthcare, Puerto Rico, and immigration.
Thanks to readers Vanessa Haim and Marianna Yerak, and others who submitted questions anonymously.