At The New Tropic, we’re all about working with the community to make Miami a better city for everyone, whether that’s advertising your company, promoting your event, telling your story, or partnering with you to make something great.
There are a few ways we work with folks in the community, so here’s a guide.
SO YOU WANT TO PROMOTE YOUR EVENT
We keep our subscribers in the know about the best events in the city. There are three ways to promote your event.
- You can use our advertising platform to create customized ads for our daily e-mail newsletter. There’s a 15 percent discount for nonprofits. In the bottom right corner of the screen, you’ll find a chat window to hit up our sales team with questions.
Newsletter calendar of events
This is a rundown of events around Miami happening in the next week. It appears at the bottom of the daily e-mail newsletter.
- We love receiving suggestions, but sending one along does not guarantee inclusion. We weigh factors like accessibility, cost, community relevance, and geographical and topical diversity. Send suggestions to [email protected].
- We need to receive submissions at least a week before the event. We update the planner once a week.
- What we need from you: A brief description and a live URL to an event listing (it can be on your website or on any public social media platform, but it can’t be a flyer that has to be attached)
The New Tropic website
- Any member of The New Tropic can list their event here. You can find out more about our annual membership here. Nonprofits get a 15 percent discount on membership. Hit us up at [email protected] to get the code.
- We always include a few of these in our newsletter planner each week.
SO YOU WANT TO DO A GIVEAWAY…
Ticket giveaways are a great way for us to give our community access to local experiences, and for you to get an additional boost of attention. We offer them to promotions customers and event partners. They are published in the newsletter and sometimes also on our social media platforms. Giveaways must be offered at least a week in advance of the event.
To gain traction, a giveaway should offer the community at least one of these three things:
- A special experience that isn’t available for purchase,
- Access to an invitation-only event, or
- High financial value.
Want to give away access to a great experience? Email [email protected].
SO YOU WANT TO PARTNER WITH US…
At The New Tropic, a “partner” isn’t someone we write about, it’s someone we work with to expand and deepen our connections to the communities we both serve.
We’re always trying to grow our community, so we ask partners to provide an opportunity for their users to sign-up for our newsletter. Usually this is an opt-out checkbox on a webform. We promote our partners in many ways, some of which include: bringing activations to your events so we can meet your community, including partner events and announcements in our newsletters, and promoting partnership work on our social media channels.
Partnerships do not affect the likelihood of us covering an event beyond inclusion in the “partners” section of the newsletter calendar. We like to work together with partners over a period of several weeks or months to ensure that we’re building strong and effective relationships.
SO YOU WANT EDITORIAL COVERAGE OF YOUR THING…
You: “I want an editorial feature about my event/restaurant opening/campaign on your website.”
Us: Well, that’s not quite what we do…
Other than our daily newsletter, all our content is project-based. We pick topics of high local interest/conversation to really dig in on over time. That could be anything from a voter guide to a multi-week behind-the-scenes tour of Miami’s restaurants and bars. If you’ve got a suggestion for a topic we should dig in on, hit us up at [email protected].
Also, while we don’t usually do articles from press releases, food and drink reviews, or event coverage, we do feature new things happening around town in our newsletter and on our social media accounts.
We have a section in every daily newsletter for media coverage in other outlets, and we love when people suggest things to share. If your thing got a great write-up somewhere else, send it over to [email protected].
There’s also the community bulletin board. This runs every Monday in the newsletter, and it’s a place for things like calls for applications and civic campaigns. What the bulletin board is not: a place to advertise your business or event. For that, see promotions above.
SO YOU WANT TO PITCH A FREELANCE ASSIGNMENT…
Freelance writers and photographers are always welcome to pitch their story ideas. Just hit us up at [email protected] with a succinct pitch (no more than a few sentences, please!), a couple clips, and a potential timeline for the piece.
SO THIS DOESN’T ACTUALLY ANSWER OUR QUESTION…
Darn, OK. Hit us up at [email protected] and we’ll help you out.