community

Meet Aaron Rosen, founder of the World Affairs Council of Miami

📸 Photography by Stefani Davila Let’s start with the basics: who are you? What do you do? Hi! I’m Aaron. I was born in Southern California but grew up in South Florida, where my dad’s family is from. As far as I remember, I loved looking at maps, learning about other cultures, and memorizing the […]

/ August 21, 2023

Meet Black Travel Summit’s Anita Francois

📸 Photo courtesy of Anita Francois Hi, Anita! Who are you? What do you do? I am a museum curator, archaeologist, and founder and CEO of the Black Travel Summit. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? Although I’m a London girl, born-and-bred, I’m reppin’ Downtown Miami! What brings you most alive about the 305? In Miami, you […]

/ August 14, 2023

Meet Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell

📸 Photo provided by Jessica Wade Pfeffer For those who don’t know you, who are you, and what do you do? I’m a rapper and activist, born in Liberty City. South Florida may recognize me as Uncle Luke. I founded Luke Records and co-founded the Liberty City Optimist Club, an after-school program that assists kids with tutoring, mentoring, […]

/ August 7, 2023

Meet Vanessa Perez, the singer-songwriter known as Viper

📸 Photograph courtesy of Danny Gallegos/Alexis Productions Hi, Viper! Tell us a bit about your talents. I’m a singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and performer. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? I live off of Flagler which is really cool cause I’m about 20 minutes away from everything! What brings you most alive about the 305? Miami is full […]

/ July 31, 2023

Meet Doggizen co-founders Alejandra Bellosta & Sara Velasquez

📸 Photo courtesy of Doggizen Hi Alejandra, Sara! Tell us what the two of you do. We are the Co-Founders of Doggizen. Doggizen is a dog-friendly community that uplifts and supports dog parents and small businesses through experiential events, curated content, and purposely designed products. It is an entire ecosystem that seeks to foster dog-friendly communities […]

/ July 24, 2023

Meet Sana Skin Studio’s Valentina Hernandez

📸 Photography by Valentina Quijada Hi Valentina! Who are you? What do you do? I’m the founder and brand officer of Sana Skin Studio. We aim to redefine the skincare experience through goal-driven facials, real guidance, and clean skincare. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? At the moment, Coconut Grove, of course! The home of our […]

/ July 17, 2023

Meet The Allapattah Collaborative CDC’s Mileyka Burgos-Flores

📸 Photo by Clara Toro Hi Mileyka! Who are you? What do you do? I’m the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of The Allapattah Collaborative CDC. We’re a community-driven nonprofit working to prevent the area’s locally owned small businesses from being displaced, strengthen the neighborhood’s economic resilience, and preserve its cultural legacy. What neighborhood(s) are […]

/ July 10, 2023

Meet Naiana Miranda of MSH Partners

📸 Photo by Ashley Brunner Oi, Naiana! What are you involved with here in Miami? I’m a Principal at the Miami-based MSH Partners, an impact investing firm with a focus on gender and sustainable development. One of our initiatives is the Amazon Chamber, which is the first entrepreneurial hub in the United States that focuses on granting […]

/ July 5, 2023

Meet Alpareno Restaurant Group’s Mohamed “Mo” Alkassar

📷 Photo courtesy of Mohamed Alkassar Hi Mo! What are you involved with here in Miami? I’m the co-owner and CEO of Alpareno Restaurant Group, the group behind Mamey, Orno, Erba, and Ghee Indian Kitchen. What neighborhood(s) are you reppin’? South Miami, baby! And three of my restaurants are in Coral Gables — I love the wholesome Gables community! […]

/ June 26, 2023

Meet Nadege Green, founder of Black Miami-Dade

📸 Photography by Amber Cole Hi Nadege! Tell us, who are you? What do you do? I am the founder of Black Miami-Dade, a history and storytelling platform that resists the erasure of Miami’s Black past. I was born and raised in the county of Dade to parents who migrated here from Haiti. And I’m a […]

/ June 19, 2023