Voter guide: November 2018 Midterm Elections
- We're publishing new sections of our November 2018 Midterm Election Guide each day through October 24 to get you ready to cast your ballot. Here's what we've published so far:
- U.S. Congress: Senate, House District 25, House District 26, House District 27
- Florida: State amendments, Governor, Attorney General, Commissioner of Agriculture, Chief Financial Officer, Justices and Judges
- Local referenda: Miami-Dade County, City of Miami, City of Miami Beach
- Plus, if you’ve got questions on HOW to vote, check out our Q&A here.
Former state representative and state senator
Mario Diaz-Balart is running to keep his seat in U.S. Congress District 25, and faces competition from Democrat Mary Barzee Flores, an attorney.
He’s looking to stay in Washington D.C. after serving there for 15 years. With the departure of Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen he would become the longest-tenured congressional representative from Florida if re-elected.
Beyond his time in D.C., he’s been in politics since the late 1980s. He served as both a state senator and state representative in Florida.
Based on the questions you had for the candidates, and factoring in some relevant topics, we sent questionnaires to the candidates and asked them questions about the following issues: the environment, criminal justice reform, gun control, the economy, healthcare, Puerto Rico, and immigration.